Thursday, January 01, 2009

2009

Lately, I feel like the Virgin Mary.

Not in the virginal sense, of course.

My favorite verse from the entire Christmas story is the often unnoticed one.

Luke 2:19: But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.


I love this Bible verse. In fact, it might be my favorite verse in the entire Bible. It's not a verse that is prophetic or life changing. It doesn't talk about salvation or the destiny of mankind. But, the verse is so...human. So real.

I've often wondered about Mary. Last year, I felt like her, being very tired and great with child. But now that I've had my child and hold her squirming body in my arms every day over the last year, the reality of what motherhood is has resonated with me--what it means to create a person from my body, nurture her body and soul every day with my own body.

These days are so long and these months are so short. And I find myself, every day, treasuring up all these things and pondering in my heart.

No comments: