Tuesday, July 10, 2007

5K Results

The culminating experience of my brief running career was an interesting experience to say the least. I wish I had a few photos of me gasping and sweating--I think only a visual could truly do the run justice. I also wish I could say it had been a glorious experience. Alas, it was not.

I ran about 2/3 of the race and walked the rest, which I actually expected since I've not regularly trained for about two months.

What I didn't expect was to almost be beat by a seven-year old. Yes. Seven.

She and her mother started out in front of me and at the half-way point, I jogged ahead of them. I stopped to walk, and I swear to god, the little girl SKIPPED in front of me. It went back and forth between us for about ten minutes and finally, as we neared the finish line, I realized I had to shake that little girl or it was going to be really embarrassing coming in mere seconds behind a seven-year old.

So I kicked it up a notch and came in at 42.35, a whole 1.04 faster than the seven-year old.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

AWESOME!!!! Don't you DARE be down on yourself about your finish! YOU DID IT!!

Just wait til your NEXT one! :)
Congrats.. awesome job even getting out there to do it. I was nearly beat in my first 5K by a 70 year old power walker.

Anonymous said...

much more committment than I could ever make to a running event . . . I'm dually impressed. Is 'dually' even a word?

Megan said...

YAY you! Given the circumstances, I'm completely and totally impressed. Considering you weren't a runner before things changed, this is an incredible feat!