Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Lobster Tails

I had my first pregnancy breakdown this weekend.

We decided to go out to dinner and of all places, Red Lobster sounded tasty. So we headed over for the requisite 20 minute wait. The only seat available was right next to the lobster tank.

Mistake number one.

I took the seat and watched the lobsters crawl around on each other; I started thinking about the spiny lobsters we saw on our honeymoon while SCUBA diving. And the realization struck me, all of these lobsters were going to end up on someone's plate for dinner, probably sooner rather than later.

And the tears started. Not quiet tears, but great sobbing gulps of sorrow over the lobsters.

We actually had to leave the restaurant because I could not stop crying. Deep inside, I knew I was being ridiculous, but I literally could not stop the tears from streaming down my cheeks.

So we had vegetarian noodles for dinner.

And now, I'm feeling rather strange when I contemplate eating meat--odd from someone who's killed a chicken themselves.

Think about it. Plants practically BEG to be eaten--"spread my seed, diseminate my genes." They tempt you with luscious fruit dangling, ripe for the picking.

But animals? Animals, all animals, will run away if they can when you try to kill them.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Does this mean my delicious, meat-filled casseroles are off the list when you visit SEA? Shit!

Anonymous said...

Ahh Dear Sister...now you know how I've felt about animals for most of my life. You'll learn to hold back the tears. Either that or you'll eventually give birth. ha
Loving YOU and Veggies too!

Anonymous said...

Make friends with veggies for now, my dear pregnant friend . . . *love you*

leslie said...

aw elisabeth, i want to laugh because you paint such a hilarious image.

i can't pretend to know what it's like to be pregnant but you have my love! [from far away back here on the east coast.]

i stopped eating meat about 6 months ago. do you think you're goign to stay off meat for awhile?