Sunday, March 04, 2007


On Friday night, we had a fire in our house.

Yes, a fire---with flames and everything.

Our house doesn't have central heat; instead, we have one grate set into the floor of the living room with a gas heater inside the space. I was sitting on the couch and kept smelling this burning stench. I thought I'd maybe left the stove burner on and got up to check. Instead, when I walked by the grate, I saw flames on the bottom.

Turns out, over the years, debris collected on the bottom of the heater. I guess the buildup had gotten deep enough to actually ignite when the heater got too hot.

It was pretty sobering and made me wonder what would have happened if we hadn't been home.

This experience also has us thinking more and more about moving.

1 comment:

Megan said...

um move...