Friday, December 17, 2004

Bluster

I woke up last night to an unusual sound outside. Naturally, I thought it was rain because when you live in the desert, you assume any odd sound to be possible rain. I laid very still and quiet, trying not to breathe, hoping to figure out what it was. Turns out, it was wind.

It seems that Tucson has turned into the Windy City for a day and a night. When I say "windy," I mean insanity. I've never been in such an environment, for several reasons. One, there are no trees to break the wind. Sounds dumb, I know, but I never realized how integral trees are to catching the brunt of the wind. Two, since it's so dry here and there is no grass holding the dirt to the ground, there have been dust storms across the city in parking lots, streets, sidewalks and everywhere else.

The blinds of my windows have been slapping violently against the glass panes. The palm trees outside my apartment are rustling against each other, making a hollow, rushing noise. My car blows in the wind while I drive and I'm not even attempting the bike. My hair becomes a giant brown rat's nest of knots the second I walk outside.

I feel like Winnie the Poo on a very blustery day.

No comments: